Ramblings of a Possessed Homebody

Ramblings of a woman, going crazy, slowly... completely...deeply insane!

Monday, April 10, 2006

David's Store vs. Goliath Big Box.....

I've really been contemplating loyalty lately. No, not loyalty of boy-girl relationships, but loyalty when it comes to stores. Take for instance my mother (please?). She gets Friday's flyer bundle, err... newspaper.. and goes thru all the grocery store flyers to find items she needs... then she spends the week going from grocery store to grocery store to buy what she needs "cheaply".

Then, there is me. I check my grocery stores flyer, see if there is anything special in sale (love salmon, but it's expensive).. then shop only there. Or, my little local scrapbook store, I only buy my stuff there, despite there being a big box craft store in town.

But why? I hit only 1 grocery store because it's convenient. I'm not retired, and I don't have the time to jump around finding the "sale" items at different stores. But, I love my local scrapbook store because they help me out, and have great service. The big box store wouldn't know about scrapbooking even tho they've got 5 aisles devoted to it.

So, why do you do it... or do you? Are you loyal? Do you frequent all the grocery stores or just one? Do you go for the "sale" or stick to one place? Do you frequent big box stores, or mom and pop shops?

I gotta know...
Rella

1 Comments:

At Thursday, 13 April, 2006, Blogger Kris Starr said...

I hate to say it, R., but your mom probably spends all that extra money she "saved" by burning all the gas going from one store to the next.

I love flyers, too -- and the trick I learned (while living away) was to read the flyers right away, see what was on sale at the local store, and build the week's menu around that. Extra work? Yep. But why run around to four different stores?

And I like the Mom & Pop stores, too (Boo Wal-Mart! Hiss!)... the only problem I find is that many of them are forced to jack up their prices to compete with the big guys. For some things it's worth it, but for others, maybe not so much.

Gee. Babble much, Kris??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home